Wednesday, July 24, 2013

This & that / Part 1

As I am in my room typing this out on my laptop, I have just recovered from a case of flu, fever, and body aches. It has been five days - sigh. I still have a bit of flu and the aches have reduced to just my back. Not sure whether the existing aches are because I have not fully recovered yet, or because of my sleeping position.

So. I will be starting a new semester (first year, second semester) next Monday, which is freaking fast. I still want more holiday! Not that I have done anything productive during my break, but I feel so lazy to start classes again. Not to mention having to face the horrendous assignments D':

Last semester, I took Media Studies, Journalism 1, Contemporary Film Studies and Psychology 1A (elective). I will be taking Introduction to Communication Studies, Journalism 2, Contemporary Television Studies and Sex, Gender, Knowledge (a unit under Gender Studies as my elective). I particularly enjoyed Media Studies (though it requires A LOT of reading - and it's not easy) and Film :D Journalism assignments are tough and challenging work. Psychology, mehhh. Nothing compared to the syllabus in A Levels :/ Anyway, here's hoping that I will enjoy every unit this coming semester!

Right after my last paper, I went to Pyramid (where else? HAHA) with the uni mates to celebrate! :D


Before my exams, I saw this super easy Nutella cupcake recipe on Facebook, and all you have to do is mash Nutella, eggs and flour in a bowl, put them in a pan and bake. As simple as that! Told myself that I HAVE to try this recipe. And here goes:


Well the top was cracked and it tasted a little dry, but other than that it was certainly yummy. But anything with Nutella is yummy so :P

I also go hiking almost every morning. You can read my previous post (here) if you have not.

Andddd, I got myself a new laptop! I felt a bit disadvantaged having no laptop to do my assignments in uni, and I always had to fight with other students for the computers because the computers in the library are seriously limited. Of course, there are computer labs but they are often occupied with classes. That leaves me with the journalism lab (which I love because it is restricted to students from the School of Arts & Social Sciences only, therefore merely a few students using at any time), but of course there will be classes going on too.

Not forgetting one thing that irks me the most, is transferring files from my home computer or laptop, to my uni's computer and vice versa. Sometimes things go wrong somehow, and the document cannot be read by a different computer so, sigh. That is why it is much much more convenient to have my own personal laptop :) Before that, I was using my dad's laptop from his office that weighs 3kg so as you can see, it is nearly impossible for me to carry it around uni.


So here it is, my dream laptop for years - a Sony Vaio :D This model - S series - was on promotion then (not sure if it still is) so pink is the only colour left :/ I would have preferred white. Haha oh well, pink stands out among the rest ;) It was selling at RM2599 instead of RM2899, so quite a good buy I think. Comes with a free laptop bag and wireless mouse, which according to the salesman, costs more than RM200. Well, the mouse looks super cool. Haha.

Specifications include: Intel core i5, 4GB memory, Intel HD graphics 4000, 13.3 inches display, 750GB hard disk drive, 1.72kg.

Oh, Windows 8. I have a love-hate relationship with you.


At first I thought it was quite cool what with the colourful boxes that you can move around and all that but man, it took me a while to really get used to it. And every time I discover something by accident, I would be so happy and delude myself into thinking that I am a genius. Haha. Thank goodness it comes with the traditional version of the desktop ;)

But I still wish Windows 8 would not be so complicated though. It is like using a huge-ass Windows phone lol. Once I wanted to use Paint, but I could not find it anywhere. By the way, even the traditional desktop does not have a 'Start' icon which is so weird :/ Well, I went online to look for a solution, and it turns out that I have to press the Windows icon + 'R', type 'mspaint' into the search box to open Paint. LOL what is this! I cannot get the icon out on the desktop also :(

Okay, enough rambling on the complications of Windows 8. Honestly after I found out that I can still use the traditional desktop (took me a few days to realise that lol), I have been using it ever since.

Here's a random picture of my CG friends :)


Then I went for my sister's orchestra in school. I stayed up pretty late the previous night, to help her colour this big poster for her exhibition.


Erm. Not so big after all. LOL.


Was surprised to see a cello there because they do not have cellists in their wind orchestra. So good to have this baby in my arms again :'D


I wish I could go back to school again! Missing the school life.



Then out of nowhere, came the minion craze. Well those silly yellow creatures are undeniably cute so I understand why people would want to collect all the minion toys, but when people start to cause havoc over these? Wow. I thought Singaporeans were terrible over the Hello Kitty craze (no offence intended) but look at us.


I wanted to collect all the toys myself, but then I figured, man I have to queue up with all those crazy people just to get a toy and even then, it may be sold out already. Nah, what a waste of effort. It is after all, a fad that will pass by so fast you would not even notice.

And the other day I went back to uni to change my unit, I saw these! Awh, my uni is so cool :P


Ramadan began and my favourite thing to do during this season is of course, visiting the Ramadan bazaars ;) I always go to the one opposite my secondary school, and it does not disappoint. Been going there and 'tapao-ing' dinner for three days in a row! And that perhaps, is the reason I fell sick :P Anyway, my favourites this year are the Mexican chicken and durian cendol. Awesome-ness.


Lastly, I went for a guitar workshop organised by my church last Saturday. It lasts for three Saturdays and I can't wait to learn more techniques!



No comments:

Post a Comment