Friday, July 12, 2013

How I lose (about) 600 calories a day

My current sport is hiking. I do it almost every day now with the exception that if it is raining or mom has got something to do. 

Initially I was super keen to start hiking. I could not wait for my holidays to come and then I would wake up every morning and hike and lose calories and slim down eventually *cough* 

After my last paper, I told myself, 'Okay, I will make sure that I start next Monday.' And guess what, the haze swept over Klang Valley (perfect timing) with some areas having API that even went up to over 300! It was so severe that anything situated three feet away from me looked blur. 

Natural limestones!

About one week later, the terrible haze subsided (oh thank God) and my mom happily reminded me that we were starting hiking the next day - yippee! I was like, but my motivation to exercise has subsided too.... Bleurghhh. Gone with the haze! (Geddit geddit?)

7.15am overlooking Wawasan.



But I still went for it. Yes, I am not one to give up that easily. But boy, it IS hard to be constantly motivated for the same thing for so long. It has been two weeks now and I'm slowly losing my fire... Okay I need to stop that thought. 

Well well, so my first time at Ayer Hitam forest reserve in Wawasan, Puchong was pretty amazing. Definitely not as terrifying as Broga Hills, which... I do not ever want to go there again. This hill is so kind to me :') I took about one hour and 45 minutes the first time - because I was snapping pictures the whole way and... of course resting A LOT. Haha. 

Some wild mushrooms.

I admit, I pretended to be Katniss Everdeen trekking through the jungle on the lookout for tributes. Well, for the first few times anyway. I seldom think of her now. It certainly made the hike ten times more interesting and fun okay.

The path. Serious jungle-trekking yo.

A green tea mushroom. Nah just kidding.

I was huffing and puffing uphill and then sitting on the ground because my legs were too tired, while watching people much much older than me walk by effortlessly. (Wh-whaaat?!)

This is so cool haha.

Sunlight streaming through the trees!

It is not as scary as Broga Hills because this hill is a combination of slopes, steep slopes, and flat grounds. Also, the level of steepness is not as dangerous as Broga. And I love the alternation of a slope and flat ground because then you would not feel excessively weary.

Such a tall, tall tree.

20 minutes later we reached a small stream.

By the way, flat grounds is my strength because that is where I can move like wind. My weakness is steep downward slopes. I look down, and I think of slipping, of tumbling down the hill and hurting myself real bad. The fear just grips my mind and takes control of my whole body that sometimes I find myself halting in the middle of a slope, too scared to continue.

Every time I go down, I subconsciously chant 'Wow wow wow' in my head. I do not even know why. It is so weird. It is like helping me calm my nerves and steady myself or something. I did slip a couple of times, nothing serious though.

Natural (and man-made) staircase.

After my first hike, I thought I needed to get a hiking stick and I got one! It does help a lot as a support especially on steep slopes.

The top! And yes, it's not really top top.

Along the way, you meet a lot of other hikers too. And well, Malaysia is a friendly country so you meet a lot of friendly hikers who wish you 'Good morning!' cheerily (some not so but still) as they pass by. Not to say  that I am an unfriendly person buttttt I would rather they not greet me because:

1) It is 7.30 in the morning (sounds like a legit reason for anything, really).
2) I am all out of energy with all the walking and climbing, that there is no more or little left for a greet (I gasp 'Good morning' 97% of the time, really).


You know, there is something about nature that just consumes your body, mind and soul. One thing I love to do in the forest, is to deeply inhale the sweet and fresh scent of it. Mmmhm.

Ooh quirky branch.

How can you not love the blue-ness of the sky, right?

Ahhh I love this picture :D

After a couple of times hiking, I improved from one and a half hour to one hour and five minutes. Oh yeah! I am still trying to break my record - by finishing the hike in one hour.

This was my sixth workout. 

Mom keeps telling me that the main reason we exercise is not to slim down but to have a healthy and well-functioning body. I'm like, mmm mmhm. Well, I have been doing this for two weeks and on average, I lose about 600 freaking calories a day. Yeah baby!!! 

I am not sure if there would be a difference in my weight at the end of this month (because I did not actually compromise on the glorious food)... Anyway, there is only two more weeks until the start of my second semester so I will be making the best out of it. 

...Please please please let me lose some weight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment