Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day trip to Raub, Pahang!

Last month on a Sunday, my family went for a one-day trip to Raub, Pahang that was organised by my mom's group of friends that go for morning exercises everyday. The majority of them were fairly old people, and only four of us were from the.. much, much younger age group.

At 7am sharp, the bus was waiting right at the entrance to our neighbourhood. Love the punctuality! The adults chit-chatted for a bit while waiting for the rest to arrive. Grabbed our seats and headed to Sri Petaling for breakfast. 


After breakfast, the journey began! The tour guide was, umm... interesting. Young guy, perhaps in his 30s, sometimes humorous, other times... Never mind :p To give him some credit, he did provide some humour (lame and silly jokes) along the ride, so that reduced the dullness during the journey.

Probably after 2 hours, we arrived in small town Raub. This was at the petrol station where we had our toilet break. 


Going further down the road, the bus stopped at another petrol station and this was where we climbed onto the four wheel drive vehicle! I can say that this was the main highlight of the trip.


We were going into Lata Berembun, which is about 30 km away from Raub via a rough drive through fruit orchards, oil palm and rubber plantation by this modified vehicle.


Wooots! So excited! The wind was blowing strongly in my face and I was having a really hard time opening my eyes. Wait.... I was wearing sunglasses (thank goodness for that!) but still, it was quite uncomfortable to have the monstrous wind blowing against my face. Ughhh.


Going in! I was standing up the whole way, because duhh, things are only exciting that way right!?


Travelling through muddy paths. All was well here.




We were quite high up already :p


Dusty, dusty roads. I bent my head and covered my nose with my shirt most of the time coz... I don't wanna die so fast D:



Looks dangerous eh? One small slip, and you fall off this cliff. :x Well I guess we needn't have to worry because the drivers are very experienced, some even doing this for 10 years! Let's just hope they don't get complacent on the job :p



Heading into the jungle. The exciting parts are coming!


We got stuck here. :(


Coz the first vehicle couldn't go on.. I think the tyres got stuck in the mud or something.


Took the opportunity to take some pictures :p


See why the vehicles can get stuck? Hmmm. It was totally a bumpy ride up.


Either they prefer to complete this part of the journey by foot coz they can't bear the jumpy ride, or the vehicle couldn't hold their weight while going up this part of the hill. LOL.


But we stayed in the vehicle. Yep, stayed the whole way up and down. Proud of ourselves for enduring through the really tough and rocky terrain. ^^V


Take two! Hey the ride wasn't easy okayyy. We were nudged, pushed, pulled by the forces while the vehicle travelled on freakishly deep and mucky roads and went over huge rocks.


For your information, I had blue-blacks all over my left arm and leg (coz I was standing/sitting at the left lol). Yeshh it was that bad :p


Gosh I hate this part. When the vehicle went on its way, big pieces and flakes of caked mud started flying all over. Some landed on my shirt and pants and sunglasess and...... even on my chin. T_T


Yeah! We're going to make it!


Cleaning up my chin. UGHHH D: And my mom's sweeping bits of mud from her bag lol.


We finally arrived at the waterfall! Heh, almost. Still have to travel on foot for a bit. Wow, am so glad to stretch my legs after a one-hour ride up the 10km slope!


The name of the place is called Hutan Lipur.


Here we are at Berembun waterfall, cascading down a tall rocky slope.


My stomach started grumbling then. Luckily the tour guide appeared - at the right timing, no doubt - with a tray of savoury kuihs. Quite yummy, I would say. Love the chewy outer part :p


The majestic waterfall! It was pretty relaxing to just stop and listen to the sound of water that comes crashing down into the pool. I would have loved to take a dip (I think), but time was running fast! I think we were up here for only half an hour or so, before it was time to go down - remember, one way takes ONE whole hour :/ 


Tried a bit of macro before we left...


4WD vehicles parked neatly outside.


All ready to go.




Oh and when we came up to the waterfall, we passed by this stream with a whole lot of rocks and yes - the vehicles crossed over it! Of course, you have an option whether or not you wanna go through it, because I might say, this part is the hardest and most exciting one of all.


If you don't wanna feel the thrill of it (then really, what's the point of the 4WD?), you can opt to go across the bridge.




...And of course we went for it! IT WAS AWESOMEEEE! (Y)

Back on the dusty road again.



It was around 2 by the time we were going for lunch.


Ahhh thank goodness for the air-conditioned restaurant! The food's good too! Only problem was that, it was too much. Lol.


After stuffing our stomachs full, tofu factory - here we come! I didn't know Raub is famous for its tofu / taufu pok, until I went on this trip :p


Special Raub taufu pok lol. Asked my mom what's so special about the tofu here, and she said coz it's fresh. Ummmm, okay.


So here's how it looks like making those tofu.. Hmm. I think the small square pieces must have been squeezed through the mouth of that yellow container, hence the exact square shape.


Deep-fried taufu pok..


...After being dumped into this enormous fryer.


Spotted this on the way. Wow I have forgotten that Raub used to be a gold mining spot, even after years of studying sejarah (history) :p 


Next up, we went to purchase some delicious Raub snacks, ranging from paus, angku kuihs to flat pieces of roti canai-like kuihs that are filled with either peanut paste, kaya (pandan paste) or red bean paste. I love the flat ones coz it's unique (yes my first time having it) and it's gooood.


The Sempalit peanut factory was our second last destination for the day. They were selling like more than 5 different kinds of Sempalit peanut! :O Well well, this type of peanut is only grown and sold here in Raub so it kinda makes it special :p

I think my parents bought three whole bags to give away to friends -.-"


While they were busy sampling the peanuts and purchasing them, I went and have a look around the factory. It wasn't very big actually. Here are peanuts being dried under the sun.


Peanuts are stored after they have been dried.


Some wood pieces.


The machine to roast the peanuts I guess?


The tour guide then took us to an ice-cream shop in Bentong, said to be famous for its ice-cream. I was quite pumped up about eating ice-cream (on a hot day!) so me waz happy :D

This is my first time seeing a shop that looks like a kopitiam but sells desserts! Like, seriously! They don't ever have this in KL! WHAIIIIII. Oh oh oh did you notice the cute Mickey Mouse cartoon? :p


We sort of rushed here because the shop closes at 5.30pm. Phew, luckily we made it in time - half an hour left to enjoy our ice-cream! :p


Ordered the ABC Ice Kacang Special, since it has everything lol. Honestly, I was disappointed. Like, really disappointed coz I was having high hopes of eating the best ice kacang since it's coming from a shop that is "famous in Bentong".


Penang's one is still better! The best, I might add!

For dinner, we went to a restaurant in Bukit Tinggi. Fresh vegetables and fruits were sold right next to the restaurant.



We had an early dinner and when we reached, our stomachs were still quite full from the ice-cream.


While waiting for the food, I took a walk in the garden behind the restaurant. They plant their own veggies! :O Seen here in neat rows are the chinese celery. The smell puts me off :x


Should be nice eating from up there while enjoying the scenic view...


... NOT! :p

Heehee okay to compensate for the previous picture, here are some beaaauutiful flowers!








Time to makan makan! SO much food again :p


Oh, and not forgetting this special dish - deep-fried Raub taufu pok with fish paste XD


No comments:

Post a Comment