Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Grand Hyatt @ Singapore

One fine day, we went to Grand Hyatt for lunch. The only reason we went to a hotel to eat is because my uncle had vouchers worth SGD 200. We - my mom, sis, aunt, grandma and I - used SGD 150 and left the rest for my cousin. There were a couple of restaurants in the hotel to choose from, and somehow my uncle decided on mezza9, which serves both Asian and Western cuisine.  

mezza9 is located on the mezzanine level (apt name huh) of Grand Hyatt, and it has a four hundred seat capacity :O The award-winning restaurant offers a wide range of cuisine, from Japanese and Chinese to Thai and Western.  




I love the open kitchen concept. It's interesting to see how chefs prepare the food!




Each of us ordered a two-course set lunch worth SGD 29. You can choose to have the main course with appetiser OR dessert. I thought the price was reasonable, considering that we were dining in a five-star hotel. The service was good as well, and the waiters were very friendly.

A pre-appetiser, since it's served before the appetiser. The bread is dipped in what tastes like Prego sauce - really delicious. This is complimentary and not in the menu. One of the waiters kept asking us if we'd like more, but we wanted to keep some space in our stomachs for the main course!


First appetiser was Yam Pu Nim, a mix of crispy soft shell crab, green mango salad, shallot, spring onion, and chilli. This dish doesn't taste too bad, as all the ingredients blend well together.


Caesar salad, which consists of romaine lettuce, bacon, and parmigiano reggiano cheese. The amount of bacon is too little, and I personally didn't like the dressing. Not recommendable.


The restaurant also serves Western, Thai, Chinese or Japanese soup for the appetiser. My grandma had Chinese chicken herbal soup, which turned out better than what I expected.

For the main course, this is garlic-egg fried rice with crispy fried cod fish and Szechuan sauce. As the rice was cooked with garlic, it was undeniably fragrant and tasty. The cod fish was so-so (the skin wasn't even crispy).


Sustainable market fish with daily side orders. I can't remember what type of fish is this, but it was a thousand times better than the fried cod fish. The flesh was soft and juicy, partly because it was soaked in some kind of light tomato sauce. The taste was near to perfection when drizzled in lemon juice.


Roast of the day with daily side orders. It's beef and it looks raw but it isn't :P Boy, it was SO GOOD! The sauce complements the tender meat while the beefy aroma envelops your senses.


Rotisserie chicken with mixed vegetables and roast potato, cooked with rosemary. Nothing special about this dish, in my opinion.


Shepherd's pie, made of minced lamb and mashed potato. I love lamb AND mashed potato, so obviously this is one of my favourites :P The lamb was nicely cooked, making this dish very delectable.




We had their dessert of the day, which is apple tart with vanilla ice-cream. Not bad, but it's too sweet even for my liking (and I do have a sweet tooth).


So my mom asked one of the waiters (who is super friendly) to take our picture, and out of the blue he asked, "Who's birthday is it?" to which my mom pointed to me and laughed, "Her birthday, but it's over already." (I didn't know why she said that haha!) Then he told us that he has something special in store for me...

...to which, to my delightful surprise, is a slice of cake! And that's not all - he got other waiters and all of them sang the birthday song in the That's the Way (I Like It) tune! Oh my gosh, can say it was my third birthday surprise haha! Well, it was quite embarrassing having waiters surrounding you, clapping their hands and singing at the top of their lungs, but I was indeed touched at the simple gesture :') Thank you mezza9 - I am truly impressed!

The cake was heavenly! I wonder what's it called. It's chocolate and tastes like Ferrero Rocher. No wait, actually... I think it IS Ferrero Rocher, but in the form of a cake :P Man, I would love to come back and eat that darn cake again.





------------------

On a side note, take a look at the Christmas decorations in Changi Airport.





That's all for my Singapore trip!

*All photos are taken by a phone camera

No comments:

Post a Comment