Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Looking for Ernest Zacharevic @ Singapore

My annual trip to Singapore last year was during the 11th to 16th of November. The day I came back was just three days before my finals heh. Mom chose that period because my aunt would be in Singapore too at that time. I brought all my revision stuff - just heaps of paper - so I mostly stayed at home during this trip. Also, we had covered (almost) every place of attraction and couldn't think of a new place - one that doesn't charge an exorbitant amount of money - to go to.

We managed to get cheap flight tickets from AirAsia. Saw this subtle yet entertaining advertisement in front of my seat :P (I haven't tried drinking coffee from a saucer...)


As usual, I will take photos of the clouds and sky whenever I sit by a window seat. I will never get tired of the view and that is why I love sitting by the window.


The late afternoon sky.


My mom, sister, and I stayed in my cousin's room since he's off to NS. I didn't know there was such a pretty night view from the small window in his room! The illuminated area is the Pasir Ris MRT station by the way.


There was a light rain the next morning, making me just want to laze on the bed when I should be studying haha!


My uncle took us to Changi Village Hawker Centre for lunch and after that we strolled around Changi Point Coastal Walk that is located nearby. It's amazing how Singapore has parks in almost every neighbourhood - something I don't see often here in Malaysia - when it's a hundred times smaller than Malaysia.









I found this piece of heaven in FairPrice! The chocolate is EXTRA chewy :D It was bubbly and airy just like what is stated on the packaging.


This trip to Singapore, I had ONE mission to accomplish, and that is to go and look for every Ernest Zacharevic mural. I suggested this to my Singaporean friends Foong Chuan and Wan Ting, and since I always meet them when I'm in Singapore, I thought this could be a fun and alternative thing to do rather than go for lunch or hang out at malls. They were cool with it and so one of the days, we met up at Bugis Mall for brunch before we set out on our little adventure.

We mostly searched for the murals on foot. A little distance from Bugis Mall, we came across this quintessential café/restaurant. 


Candid photo of me taking a photo of ...something. I can't remember haha!


This mural of a girl cuddling a lion cub is located in Jalan Pisang, which is near Arab Street. The mural is so gigantic that I couldn't get everything in the frame no matter which angle I take it from..



We look minuscule standing next to the mural haha!



There was another café further along the road. I actually didn't know there were so many cute cafés like this in Singapore, heh. 


I love the outdoor setting, which seem to exude some kind of rustic charm.


This mural depicting children playing is painted on the side of a building in Jalan Klapa (a couple of streets away from Jalan Pisang).



Do not miss the small boy near the roof!


It looks like he's reaching up for the tree :P


We almost missed this, if we didn't look behind. It is painted on the back of another building (the two buildings are separated by an alley).


On the same wall as the mural of the playful children, is this piece of art showing a boy and a girl both wearing Angry Birds T-shirts and sitting in trolleys. So yes it's on Jalan Klapa as well, near the crossroad between Victoria Street and Jalan Sultan (there is a mosque opposite). I really love this!



Further down the road, you can spot a little boy looking out what seems to be a window.




The rest of the paintings are in Joo Chiat, which is quite a distance away from our location, so we took a bus down. Public transport is so efficient in Singapore that we didn't have to wait long for the bus. We overshot our destination, as my friends were not very familiar with the area, and then we had to walk back haha. Then we came to this cross junction and decided to stop and discuss (well, my friends actually) the best and nearest route to go.

Initially, I thought Joo Chiat is a street - little did I know it is one big residential area... So I thought I wouldn't be able to find those minions, because the only information I got was that they were in Joo Chiat. We looked for the "style wars" mural first since I had the exact location.


These are some of the traditional buildings that we passed by along the way. When you think of Singapore, I bet the rows of traditional shop houses would not come to mind. They seem to fade away behind the shadows of modern skyscrapers, which tourists happily flock to. But there are still plenty of buildings like these hiding in parts of Singapore and I'm glad I saw them with my own eyes (they also gave me a feel that I'm in Penang).




After a long time walking under the hot sun and assuming that we got lost in a neighbourhood, we finally saw this from afar! I was even elated to see the minions "standing" right below this painting :D If you are planning to look for this mural and are not familiar with the place, I advise you to use the main road (no harm walking a longer distance than risk getting lost) unless you have a reliable GPS. Thank goodness my friends' GPS is :)

This "style wars" artwork is located at the junction of Everitt Road and Joo Chiat Terrace. The horse doodles are so cute. I think this piece is Ernest's most artistic mural in Singapore. It seems to demand for your imagination to be wild and free. This is what I like about art - it is never objective. 



Hi minions, so we met after all ;D There were a couple of garbage bins lining in front of them and we had to drag them away one by one LOL. I think anyone see us doing that would think we were insane or something. I was complaining that the garbage bins shouldn't cover the minions, but FC said that the bins are supposed to be there because... well, look closely at the minions.


My favourite one of the three, because bits of its brain are chewed off and it is surrounded by bananas.




Wan Ting having fun :P


Selfie! Sorry, the other two minions.






With the garbage bins, the expression is extra priceless don't you think!?


Our adventure came to an end and we took the bus back to Bugis. FC, the Starbucks addict, couldn't wait to get Starbucks lol so we went there. Ahh so thankful for the air-conditioning! My friends treated me even though I kept insisting that I pay for my own muffin and drink. Haha so paiseh because they always treat me every time I meet up with them.

Also, they gave me a surprise by getting this chocolate blueberry cake! Oh my gosh, I totally did not expect that :')



Thank you so much FC and Wan Ting, for everything. You guys are AWESOME ;D I had an enjoyable time going about searching for all of Ernest's street art together, at the same time discovering the "other" side of Singapore that is not the mainstream touristy areas. Till we meet again!


*All photos are taken by phone cameras

No comments:

Post a Comment