Friday, November 13, 2015

Bonbori Japanese Cuisine @ Setia Walk, Puchong

I'm not obsessed with Japanese food (like how some people can be), but I love it nonetheless. Though I seldom eat it - because my family isn't the adventurous foodie type - so my knowledge on Japanese cuisine is very limited. I'm only familiar with the mainstream Japanese chain restaurants such as Sushi/Pasta Zanmai, Sakae Sushi and a few in the UK, with those small independent ones barely existing in my mind. 

For my birthday dinner, I went to Bonbori Japanese Cuisine located on the first floor of Setia Walk. My family came here before during Mother's Day (I wasn't here because I was in the UK at that time) and according to them, the food is good and the price is reasonable too - and coming from my mom, it means something. Seeing that she doesn't mind a second visit, I can already tell it's a fine restaurant.

The view from outside the restaurant.


Bonbori fruit tea jug (RM18) for the four of us. The drink is also available in a glass of course, but it's more worth it to order the jug if there are more than two people to share.


The jug gave each of us two refills is these tiny cups. The diced fruits include apple and watermelon, which was really refreshing. 


Bonbori bento (RM26.90) consists of four pieces of sushi, sliced egg, edamame, raw salmon and some kind of fish, prawn and vegetable tempura, and a bowl of soup. 



I think the price is reasonable, especially if you love every single thing in this bento. So on the day I turned 22, I finally had the guts to try raw salmon. YOLO, right? The verdict: I didn't like it and I will never eat it again.



The birthday girl with her birthday bento!



The next dish was salmon butter (RM19.90). This is really good! The creaminess of the butter is fully immersed in the flesh and it complements every bite of the freshly cooked salmon, resulting in a fragrant dish rich in flavour. 



Shake atama, fried salmon head (RM16.90). It's a little creepy how it's presented on the plate, with its eyes sort of looking at you while you enjoy its flesh. My dad ordered this and I tried some. It's marinated with salt (I think) and the taste is not bad, although I still prefer the salmon butter. 



I finally tried shoyu ramen (RM18.90), because of the tantalising photos of it that my friend sent while he was in some well-known Japanese restaurant in London. I finally got to see that beautiful egg up-close in all its glory :') Okay so I just googled it and learned that it actually has a name, called shoyu tamago or soy sauce egg. It's definitely the best ingredient in Japanese ramen in my opinion. The soft runny egg yolk flowing in my mouth is something I won't get enough of! MMM MHMMM. 



Lastly, chahan or seafood fried rice (RM12.90). I don't even know why we ordered fried rice in a Japanese restaurant. It doesn't look very Japanese, except for the few pieces of beetroot there... maybe. The taste is basically like the Cantonese Yang Chow fried rice, so there's nothing special about it.



I can see why this place has gotten rave reviews over the past two years, and why customers keep coming back. It has a clean environment, which also exudes the kind of relaxing vibes that make people want to stay as long as they want (at least, that's how I felt). It's not a very huge restaurant but I love how comfy and homey it feels.




Address: G-01-1, Block G, Setia Walk, Persiaran Wawasan, Pusat Bandar Puchong, 47160 Puchong, Selangor

Opening hours: 12pm-3pm, 6pm-10pm everyday 

Contact: 03-80909342 / 012-3707728


No comments:

Post a Comment